20 Mar Indian Potato Cakes
Serves: 3 (5 patties per serve)
Calories per serve: 430cals
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 120g frozen peas
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 2 green chillies, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mango chutney to serve
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water, bring to a boil and cook for 15mins until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas in a separate pot of boiling salted water for 2-3mins, until just tender. Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes, then stir in the peas.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chilli if using, onion, ginger and spices, then cook while stirring for 1min. Add the potato mix with the flour and lemon juice. Season and stir well to combine. Using damp hands, form 15 patties. Transfer to a plate and chill for 30mins to firm up.
- Heat the remaining 60ml oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 1-2mins each side, until crisp and golden.
- Drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve potato cakes immediately with chutney.