07 Aug How To Prevent A Sugar Addiction and Sugar Cravings
Do you find yourself craving sugar-filled treats? That you need that hit of energy because you won’t be able to make it through the day otherwise?
If you are always having sugar cravings then you might find that you have a sugar addiction.
What Causes Sugar Cravings?
Refined sugars might taste good, but they are a really dangerous substance to put into your body. You might have heard rumours of sugar causing obesity or Diabetes, but there is something scarier than those wive’s tales.
You know the madness that takes over at a kid’s birthday party after they have eaten the cake and ice cream for dessert? The massive sugar high, the insane hyperactivity, the noise, the running… and then the crash. With the crash comes the grumpy, the whining and the requests for lollies.
Did you know that sugar is doing the exact same thing to your adult body? Eating refined sugar gives your body a quick boost of energy, but then that energy wears off. Your body will then demand another quick boost of energy. Cue sugar cravings.
If you continue to repeat this process of giving your body a quick hit of energy every time it is down, then you will likely develop a sugar addiction. That will make it really hard to break the cycle of instant gratification from sugar.
What Can You Do To Avoid Sugar Cravings?
The best way to avoid getting the cravings that a sugar addiction causes, is to eat complex carbs. Yep, it really is that simple. Complex carbs like whole grains and vegetables give your body an even release of energy. That means that your blood sugar never spikes, and you never get a craving for sugar.
Don’t wait for your body to tell you that it needs energy. If you get that feeling of intense sugar craving, then you really should have eaten 30 minutes ago. By anticipating your cravings, you can avoid the need for your body to crash. Oh, and never skip meals!
Sugar cravings occur because something is not right in your diet. If you can fix your diet, then you can fix the sugar cravings too.
What To Do If You Get A Craving
Sometimes you get busy, or get distracted and the result is almost always a sugar craving! So, if you get one of those dreaded cravings and you don’t have the time to sit down for a proper meal of complex carbs, you can try these options…
- Have a piece of fruit: fruit gives your body the right kind of sugars and is a good, natural boost of energy
- Chew on a piece of sugar free gum: gives you the taste of sweetness, without the actual sugar
- Chug back a glass of water: it might just fill the void until you can have a proper meal
- Chocolate: If the chocolate monster is truly calling and you really can’t resist, then have a few squares of dark chocolate to squash the urge
- Distraction: sometimes boredom affects the way you think. Getting up off your butt and doing something active can be enough to distract you
How To Prevent Sugar Cravings
You can undo all the good work of eating complex carbs if you make some simple mistakes. Knock sugar cravings on the head with these simple steps…
- Avoid processed foods which are heavily laden with sugars
- Boost your serotonin levels through diet and exercise. Serotonin is known as the happy hormone, reducing the need for that instant sugar high
- Use natural sweeteners in your food instead of sugar
- Drink lots of water
- Don’t skip meals
- Eat the right foods – complex carbs, fruit and veges
- Meditation and Mindfulness can put you in a positive state of mind, allowing the mind to triumph over any cravings
Make sugar cravings and sugar addiction a thing of the past by getting your diet right. Then you won’t be running around like a crazy child at a birthday party!
Join our free Facebook Community HERE